We just love making Mexican food at least once or twice a week. I also love saving money. Making the best instant pot refried beans is a great way to make tasty homemade food and save some cash. It’s a WIN WIN!!
As of writing this, a can of refried beans costs about $1 a can. For less than $2 you can make tasty freezable refried beans that will make at least 6 cups of beans or 12 servings. If you need a large batch, you can double this recipe in the Instant Pot. The beans freeze really well. See my tips below.
Research pressure cookers before you buy!
That is one big mistake I made. Purchasing a large electric pressure cooker just because it was on sale was not a great choice on my part. Who knew not all pressure cookers are created equal. I usually try to stay away from name brands since they tend to be more expensive for the same item. This is definitely one case where I was greatly mistaken.
We are on our second electric pressure cooker. The first one we purchased had a coating on the inner pot that started to scratch within the first month of use. This made me really nervous since we don’t ever buy coated frying pans and only use stainless steel and cast iron for most of our cooking. Last Christmas, Amazon had a great sale on the actual Instant Pot brand so I ordered one and couldn’t be happier. It is a little smaller than the other brand I had purchased but I seem to be able to cook just as much food in it.
My posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something from one of our links we may earn a small commission, doesn’t cost you any more but helps us to bring you more great tips, recipes and garden ideas. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases .
Here is the one I purchased, I love that it has a stainless steel inner pot that can go in the dishwasher:
Prepare refried beans just once a month
This recipe can be made once or twice a month depending on the amount of beans you eat. I like to cool the beans then scoop them into muffin tins and freeze in ‘pucks’. After they are frozen you can remove them from the trays and place in freezer bags or freezer safe containers and freeze for up to 6 months. Just remove a couple of pucks from the bag and microwave for about 4-6 minutes or cook on the stove. Makes for a cheap and easy side dish.
We use these instant pot refried beans on just about everything from tacos to taco salad and 7 layer dips.
Best Instant Pot Refried Beans
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 2 cups dry pinto beans washed & sorted
- 1/2 fresh jalepeno
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pinch cumin
- 6 cups Water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Place beans in a colander, rinse and sort beans. Remove odd looking beans and stones.
- Combine all ingredients in the instant pot except salt.
- Seal lid.
- Set instant pot for BEANS (45 min)
- When finished, let the pressure release naturally for 25 min. Do not release the steam valve.
- After pressure has been released, remove lid.
- Carefully remove the inner pot from the unit and using a colander strain out liquid over a large bowl. place cooked beans back into the pot.
- Using a hand mixer, immersion blender or potato masher begin to blend the beans. You may need to slowly add back some of the reserved liquid to get the correct consistency. This is also when I add salt to taste or sometimes I add it when I serve the beans.
- Once the beans are blended, serve while warm, refrigerate, or freeze up to 6 months.
- Super Healthy Veggie Turkey Burgers
- Drying Basil From the Garden in a Dehydrator
- Easy Hack for Irrigation Drip Line Installations
- How to Grow Grapes in Arizona
- Homemade Bone Broth Recipe